Move Out & Late Move Out Charges
Residents departing prior to the semester move out date (the final date of occupancy listed at the top of your contract) are not eligible for additional rent discounts; their room is reserved for the full semester. Residents in good financial standing who desire to stay after the final date of their contract may be eligible for late move out at a rate of $10/night for the first seven nights (including the night of your final date of occupancy). On the eighth night. After that, the rate increases to $50/night. Residents who do not have an active contract for the next contract term MUST check out of their room at least 3 nights before the next listed move in date. Late move out charges are typically deducted from the residents deposit if there are sufficient funds to cover all of their costs/fees.
Any keys and fobs given to you by your house or the office need to be turned into the office. If turned-in outside business hours, they can be returned through the office’s mail slot. Residents will get charged for any keys not returned. When turning your keys in, we need to know the resident’s name, house, and room number (preferably in an envelope). Residents may be charged for missing keys if we receive keys without context. Residents moving out are emailed check-out instructions, and key envelopes will be available in common spaces with key return instructions.
Final Rent Payment
As noted in your paperwork, you remain responsible for the entire semester rent payment as outlined in the contract. Your deposit CANNOT be applied to your rent balance.
Check Out/ Deposit Return $$$
Residents must complete a checkout form in order to receive their deposit. Deposits returns will be issued 30 days after the final day of the contract, 30 days after your checkout date (if you leave after the last day of the contract), or 30 days after we receive your checkout form (whichever is latest).
Residents have 3 options for a deposit return (you will select an option on your checkout form):
- US Mail: College Houses can mail deposit checks via United States Postal Service. You must provide a mailing address where you will be able to receive mail more than 30 days after the end of your contract.
- Pick Up: You may pick up my check in person from the College Houses office when it is ready. You will need to be available in Austin at least 30 days after the end of your contract.
- PayPal: College Houses can return your deposit electronically via PayPal.
*If you will not be in the United States 30 days after the end of the contract (or your checkout date, if later), the only way College Houses will issue your deposit is via PayPal. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can create one at www.PayPal.com.
If you have questions about your deposit return options or special cincumstances surrounding your deposit return, please contact Terrie, the accountant, at [email protected].
Residents are expected to clean their rooms thoroughly to prepare them for the next occupant. College Houses may bill the resident for damages if the room requires additional cleaning or maintenance.
Important Terms for Semester Contract Cancellations
- Students Graduating from a local college or university in December may qualify for a No Penalty (free) semester contract cancellation if they provide documentation by December 1st. Contact [email protected] if you can provide documentation. Students studying abroad or completing non-local degrees are not eligible for the No Penalty option. This option is not available for Spring or Summer contracts.
- Residents who do not meet the conditions for a Reduced Penalty Semester Contract Break (for example, canceling their contract effective before or during the term of the semester) are subject to the full cancellation fee and release terms as outlined in the Contract Break Policy and Guidelines art www.collegehouses.org/forms.