The members of Laurel House strive to build a close-knit diverse community and work to give members an environment in which they can study hard, make friends, have fun with fellow housemates, and discover what the city of Austin has to offer.
If you are seeking something other than typical dorm life, we have a lot to offer you in the way of affordable living, a shared commercial kitchen, and an active and social membership who participate in our community while accomplishing our academic goals.
Laurel is proud to have a diverse range of members coming from different backgrounds, and life experiences. Our co-op has included members from all throughout the United States, and from countries such as:
Laurel House is located in the West Campus neighborhood on the corner of Nueces Street and Martin Luther King Blvd – a mere five-minute walk from the UT-Austin campus, Target, several restaurants, and bus lines. We are also a few blocks away from Don’s Japanese Kitchen – the best value tasty meal deal around.
Our co-op is member-run with each member performing 6 hours of weekly labor due to the current number of members. Members sign up for labor at the beginning of each semester. Labor is assigned according to your semester schedule that takes into account your academic, and work schedules.
House labor duties include cooking, cleaning, Labor Holiday and general house upkeep. We may also have call outs for cleaning as situations come up.
Many of the amenities available at Laurel House are possible because of the labor performed by members.
Amenities – All are included in your monthly rent
Furnished Rooms (bed, desk, chair, and dresser) Utilities Trash Internet Courtyard Lounge Room Ping Pong Table Mailboxes Garden Theater/TV Room Foosball Table Gym Study/Reading Rooms Half Basketball Court Meal Plan (read more in the “Meals” section) Access to the Pearl pool and Taos sundeck
Members stay in either a double room (two person room) with a private bathroom or a single room (one person room) that shares a bathroom with one with the adjoining room. We have a very limited number of single rooms with private bathrooms.
Included in your monthly rent is a meal plan. Laurel House offers 17 meals per week. Typically, these are breakfast, lunch and dinner during the weekdays. Saturday brunch and Sunday dinner. Breakfast* is self-serve. Lunches* can be cold (example: sandwiches, wraps, etc) or cooked. Dinner* is typically a cooked meal. The style and number of meals depends on the number of members we have, out-of-our-control-events (aka pandemic), and food budget. *Meal plan may change depending on budget and at the discretion of the membership.
Meals are typically available from the first day of class through the end of finals based on the University of Texas calendar, except for UT holidays.
Note: Meals may be reduced due to member labor availability and food budget. This is typical of co-operative houses.
- Hang out in the Laurel Lounge and/or courtyard
- Play basketball, ping pong and/or foosball in the Laurel courtyard
- Study in the designated common rooms
- Enjoy the beautiful garden
- Watch movies in the Laurel Theater on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO
- Work out in the Super Co-op Exercise Room
- Hangout in the breezeways equipped with comfy sofas, lounge chairs, and tables
- Paint a mural in a designated area (requires approval)
- Labor Holiday – once a semester every member spends 4 hours beautifying and cleaning our house. Members deep clean the house, and also work on art projects (murals, painting common areas), and building benches, and other furniture, and any other projects members suggest for Labor Holiday.
- Educational and social events, movie nights, holiday celebrations, and the annual Laurel Birthday party in the fall.
- Got ideas for house activities? Bring them to a House Meeting! This was member-run means. ANY member can bring forth ideas at our House Meeting and make them come into fruition through our democratic processes.
Outside of Laurel House, members enjoy exploring Austin’s celebrated food scene, live music dance halls, and nationally-recognized events like Austin City Limits, SXSW and many more!
Here is a summary of our current rent rates:
Spring 2021 – $989/month for a single (private) room.
Summer 2021 – $799/month for a single (private) room, $611/month for a double (shared) room
Fall 2021/Spring 2022 – $999/month for a single (private) room, $764/month for a double (shared) room
*Doubles will only be available pending an improvement in Austin’s COVID-19 Stage level.
See all rent details on the Rates page
Note: All College Houses communities have modified their operation to promote health and safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read about our COVID-19 Response >
- Utilities (water, electricity, trash, A/C, heating)
- Study/Reading Rooms
- Computer Room
- Lounge Room
- Ping Pong Table
- Foosball Table
- Half Basketball Court
- Access to the Pearl Pool and Taos Sundeck
Apply online with no fee and no commitment!
You can select up to 3 preferred co-op houses on your application.