Resilience Scholarship Fund
Donate directly to current student members
College Houses members are incredibly resilient, and they have shown this more than ever during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, many of our members are facing lost work and new financial burdens, and they could use a little help from our co-op family and friends.
We’re inviting you to become part of what makes the co-op community resilient. By giving to the Resilience Scholarship Fund, 100% of your donation goes directly to cover rent for the co-opers who will benefit from it the most.
If circumstances are right for you to give back, there has never been a better time to help. Our goal is to provide $500 of direct rent assistance to eligible members who need it. College Houses is starting the Resilience Scholarship Fund with $3,000 — will you help us support co-opers even more?
Note: You can also donate by check and avoid online payment fees.
Thank you for your interest in our organization! In order to proceed, you will need to create a user account. By signing up for a user account, you will be able to manage your contact information, household relationships and review any transaction history. If you are conducting a transaction as an organization, please use Guest Check Out.
- If you donate $35 or more to directly help out a co-oper, you’ll receive a sticker that shows off the outstanding resilience of the co-op community.
- If you donate $150 or more, you’ll also receive next year’s College Houses T-shirt, usually exclusive to current members!
- If you donate $500 or more, you’ll receive the above, plus your name (or a short message) included on a plaque about the fund at our leasing office for at least one year. Thank you!
Note: Items will be delivered as soon as we feasibly can, pending COVID-19 related issues. Thanks for your patience!
How else can I donate?
You can donate by check, which also avoids online payment fees. Please mail your check to:
1906 Pearl Street
Austin, TX 78705
Check can be made out to “College Houses”. For more options and info, please email [email protected].
How will these scholarships work to support members?
- Each qualifying member who applies will get up to $500 as a direct rent credit.
- Members will qualify if they have already created a payment plan with staff, which allows more time to pay rent. Members will decide how much assistance they need, up to the maximum. Members are also encouraged to seek other forms of emergency assistance.
- After members graduate, they will be encouraged to donate back the amount they received if they are able. This so-called “Moral Obligation Scholarship” system will allow each donation to stretch farther and help more co-opers over time.
- As the fund grows, the board of directors will consider raising the amount of assistance above $500.
- The Resilience Scholarship Fund will be an ongoing source of emergency support for members who need it. Even after COVID-19 subsides, we will continue the fund to help members for years to come!
What has College Houses already done to support co-opers during COVID-19?
College Houses acted quickly to adapt to COVID-19. Our houses have increased cleaning labor, members received guidelines for complying with safety regulations, meetings have transitioned to teleconferencing, and more. We also lowered the fee for breaking one’s lease, which provided a solution for members that felt it was best for them to move home. In total, about 50% of our members have chosen to take advantage of this option.
We’re so proud of our response to this crisis so far. However, due to the 50% loss in membership, the organization is now facing significant revenue shortfalls. That is why we need your help to do even more to help our members.
What if I want to help, but now isn’t the right time to donate?
The biggest way you can help is to spread the word about what we’re doing. Share this page on Facebook, or better yet, send a text to other friends of the co-ops. You can also contact us to become a fundraising volunteer. Thank you so much!