Learn more about co-ops
Learn more about our affordable, central communities before you apply!
We are currently accepting applications for:
- Spring 2021
- Summer 2021 (leases will start being offered in February 2021)
- Fall/Spring 2021/2022 (leases will start being offered in February 2021)
- Spring 2022 (leases will start being offered in October 2021)
*Due to Covid-19, College Houses will not be offering double occupancy leases, except on a case-by-case basis. Contact us to learn more.
For the year of 2020/2021, College Houses has expanded it’s eligibility requirements to:
- Anyone who graduated high school within the last 5 years.
- Anyone who was enrolled in at least 6 credits of higher education or equivalent within the last 5 years.
- Anyone who will be actively attending at least 6 credits of higher education or equivalent for Fall 2020/Spring 2021. Online courses are counted.
- Faculty and staff at an Austin-area institution of higher education.
- AmeriCorp members have special eligibility requirements. Please contact us to learn more.
About Our Application Process
College Houses is a democratically-managed non-profit organization with a small staff. Our democratic processes set us apart from other housing options, but they also add complexity you may not encounter elsewhere. Unlike leasing at a standard, for-profit apartment complex, our free application process requires more time and flexibility from you, the applicant. Please understand that all timelines given for application and contract processing are subject to change based on holidays, office closures, or the need to address emergencies that arise with individual students or facilities.
Before you can request a contract from College Houses, you must be approved for membership. Your Membership Application (below) will be sent to the house(s) and voted on by the members. The application process can take up to 3 weeks. Once the houses have voted, we will compile your results and send you a Membership Results Letter, along with a contract request form. The leasing process typically takes another 1-2 weeks from the date you request your contract. Availability is subject to change throughout your application and contract request process.
Please read through the entire Membership Application carefully, as it contains detailed information about our housing and your contract options. You will receive a confirmation email once you have submitted the application.
When you apply, you will be able to pick a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice. For Summer I, Summer II, and Fall 2021/Spring 2022, we strongly recommend choosing at least 3 house and room options. Our occupancy is likely to be variable due to COVID-19, and this will help ensure you get a spot.